Recorded on November 2nd, 2018
The Freedom of Setting Boundaries
0:27 – 8:56
How setting boundaries (in your life and in your creative work) can help you to focus in on the things that really matter.
- This week’s ideas come the book Essentialism by Greg McKeown.
- Over at Verbal To Visual I published a visual summary of that book, using the new constraints that I described in this segment.
- I’ve also been enjoying the constraints of the sketchnotes I share on Instagram.
Find the Slowest Hiker
8:56 – 16:29
Pay attention to each step in your creative process, look for opportunities to remove or add support to those areas that might be slowing your down, and don’t get caught up in the “should’s” of your industry.
- Here’s an example of a Verbal To Visual video with a talking head intro and outro, and here’s one that doesn’t have those sections.
Buffers and Batching
16:29 – 24:02
How to create more space in between your tasks, projects, and responsibilities, maybe by using batching as a technique for creating that space.
- Here’s an Instagram sketchnote that shares what I do each day when I spend a full week working on a single video. When batching, however, I work on a handful of videos simultaneously – taking each through the first stage, then each through the next stage, and so on.
- The reason I’m batching weekly videos: so that I have more time to work on Learn a New Language with Sketchnotes, with the launch quickly approaching!
Thanks for supporting the show!